All five Preston Scout House Band Inc. member groups declaring Spring Open with performances at a concert at St. Peter’s Church
All the Preston Scout House Band Inc. member groups declared Spring Open on Sunday, April 28 with an afternoon concert at St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 810 King Street East in the downtown Preston neighbourhood of Cambridge. Those in the audience were able to make a freewill offering, with entertainment began at 2 pm. The concert included:
*Preston Scout House Cadets drum and bugle corps, providing young people in the community with practice and performance opportunities for a nominal $50 annual membership fee that provides instrument, instruction, and participation in popular public events in and around Cambridge.
*Preston Scout House Band, including alumni members and others performing a selection of popular Scout House tunes from the past and current songs.
*Silver Leaves Brass, the award winning horn line that performs in many local events and beyond – across southern Ontario and in upstate New York.
*Heritage Drill Team, featuring the vintage uniform including tight black shorts, white gauntlets and Aussie hats that gave Scout House a distinctive visual appeal in the 1950s and 1960s.
*Magic of Scout House competitive winter guard, which a few weeks ago won its fifth straight North East Colour Guard Circuit championship. Magic has won every contest since its debut performance in 2015.
St. Peter’s Church has played a significant role in the eight-decade history of Scout House Band. It was the family church of Wilf Blum, the local pharmacist who initiated bugle band activities in 1938 as a way to attract boys to the 1st Preston Scout Troop.
In the following three decades Preston Scout House Bugle Band, named for the building that was home to the Scout troop, became one of the most famous and well-liked drum and bugle corps in North America, regularly travelling from the Atlantic seaboard to the American Midwest while winning more than 80 regional, provincial, national and international awards.
Last year, St. Peter’s Church provided rehearsal space for Scout House Band after the Knights of Columbus building, the Band’s winter rehearsal home for more than 10 years, was sold. Scout House Sunday afternoon rehearsal sessions are now held at St. James’ Anglican Church, 520 Ellis Road, in Hespeler.
Preston Scout House Band, Inc. is a non-profit corporation with registered charity status able to issue tax receipts to donors, incorporated under the Corporations Act of the Province of Ontario on November 29, 1956. The multi-unit organization offers individuals the opportunity to “Arrange the soundtrack of your life” in marching arts activities starting at age 8 and continuing throughout life.