This is the 80th Year
Preston Scout House Band, of Cambridge, includes about 200 regular and associate members, making it one of the largest organizations of its type in Canada. Marching members of this popular drum and bugle corps come from more than 20 communities across Ontario and have previously been associated with more than 70 marching music organizations.
Associate members are a vital part of the organization, providing support in such areas as fund raising, publicity, recruiting, souvenir sales, parade assistance, catering for social events, photography and video production
In 2018, Scout House is celebrating the 80th anniversary of its founding in 1938 as an innovative activity for members of the 1st Preston Boy Scout Troop, under the leadership of town pharmacist Wilf Blum. The band is named after the restored stable for brewery horses that became the home of the troop in the 1930s. Scout House became independent of the Boy Scout organization in 1954, adapting the Boy Scout uniform to tight black shorts, short-sleeved maroon tops, white gauntlets and Aussie-style hats. Before disbanding in 1967, Scout House performed each year from the American Midwest to the Atlantic coast, traveling up to eight thousand miles a year while winning more than 80 international, national, provincial and regional titles.
Since its first stage show in 1999, Scout House Alumni Band has performed in more than 425 parades, field shows and concerts in communities across Ontario and Quebec, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Florida, West Virginia and Maryland.
Scout House Cadets youth drum line began training sessions in September 2012 and expanded to become a full drum and bugle corps in September 2014. The group shares its name with the original Scout House Cadets, which was active throughout the 1960s as a feeder group and continued for several years after Scout House Band ceased activity in 1967.